Cats are a wonderful gift to the human race. Not only do they provide hours upon hours of endless amusement with YouTube videos, owning a cat has a number of health benefits!
First off, they provide you with companionship. Sure they can’t talk back to you – unless they’re like my cat, Hoo, who frequently meows in response – but are good snuggle buddies, if their disposition allows.
According to academic.edu, there 10 really great health benefits to having a cat:
- Asthma and allergy prevention in children
- Lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attack
- Boosts your immune system (and they comfort you when sick)
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol and lower triglycerides
- Reduced stress and anxiety (which helps reduce your risk of stroke)
- Improved mood and reduced depression
- Reduced loneliness
- Fewer doctor visits and longer life
- Help with autism
If you’re starting to feel lonely or depressed, consider adopting a cat! And since it is National Adopt a Cat Month, a lot of local shelters have reduced or lowered cat adoption fees.